Monday, September 12, 2011

Ki Tavo

I was just thinking - Moshe is speaking directly to the people (in this book of D'varim). Suppose he had just emailed his thoughts. Would the understanding be the same? Is it possible that the tone of voice, the facial expressions, the body language might have impacted the way in which the words were heard?
We lose so much of the subtlety of communication when we give up the person-to-person that has so largely been superseded by the tweet, the email, The bbm. The Im.
Maybe Moshe didn't sound threatening during the tochechah - maybe he sounded worried. That would certainly change things, I think.
A teacher once asked me, "are you saying it's not just what I'm saying? It's the way I'm saying it that matters?

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment